Fully ‘Self Contained' motor homes ONLY are permitted to overnight stay on the area of mown grass at the northern end of Kairakau Beach Road (past the new public toilet) beyond the vehicle turning area plus the small area just before the end of the road. The area allowed to be used is clearly signposted. Any other form of camping on any other ‘council' land at Kairakau Beach is NOT ALLOWED.
Central Hawke's Bay Council Freedom Camping Rules
- Length of stay is not to exceed 7 days
- Campers must leave the site clean and tidy
- Camp sites must be set up in such a way as to not interfere with or damage trees, other vegetation such as sand dune plants, or disturb nesting birds in the dunes
- No permanent structures will be permitted
- Suitable signs will be erected advising public of (i) areas where camping is permitted and (ii) areas where camping is not permitted.
- Casual campers must notify the Council's Bylaw Officer of their name, address and contact phone number, their intended camping area and length of stay. Contact either via e-mail Bruce Kitto or by phone on +64 6 857 8060 for more information